Beauty Tips For Dry and Dull Skin
We all have different types of skin. But at some point or another, each one of us faces a dry skin issue. Today, we are going to talk about a few tips that will help nourish dry skin and return its once healthy looking appearance. But first, let’s find out more about dry skin. And then talk about tips for dry skin.
What is dry skin? Dry skin occurs when the skin does not secrete enough oils and lacks the normal levels of oil required to remain healthy. Dry skin looks cracked, flaky and dull.
With the right skin care products and regiments it is possible to make dry skin look supple, hydrated and restored. However, dry skin can be tricky to treat, so here are a few tips for dry skin
Wear sunscreen religiously, many dry skin concerns stem from cumulative sun exposure and lack of protection against the sun.
Use a Cleanser Daily
Use a cleanser that contains oils to retain the moisture on your face. Such a cleanser can be used every day twice to remove, sweat, dirt and make up. Nowadays, there are cleansers made especially for sensitive skin too so if you have sensitive you can look for those variants in the market.
Apply a good moisturizer twice a day. A good moisturizer will help reconstitute the skin’s hydro-lipid film, preserving your skins natural lipids (oils), trapping and locking them into the tissues.
Dry skin treatments on the face are not easy. Using a well-formulated exfoliator will help gently loosen stubborn skin cells, remove cellular build up and replace them with newer, smoother skin cells. You carry out this treatment once or twice a week. Opt for gentle exfoliators to prevent harshness to your face.
Make night oils your BFF’s.
Applying oil at night is great as it helps you sleep deeper, get softer skin (as it absorbs into your skin through the night) and nourishes your skin. Good night oils help you get smooth and supple skin overnight!
Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.
Hydrated skin is healthy skin. It is important to keep your skin hydrated at all times (no matter your skin type, really!). Treat your skin right and drink at least 1.5 – 2 liters of water a day. Of course, drinking a lot of water has a lot of other added benefits to your body as well!
Go Natural with Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel is great for all types of skin requirements. For dry skin, applying aloe vera gel every night before going to bed helps retain the skin’s moisture level. You can now easily get aloe vera leaves in the market from which you can extract the gel yourself at home.
A somewhat lesser used product, glycerin also works wonders on dry skin. It is a wonderful humectant and emollient that locks the skin’s moisture.
Go for a Home-made Remedy
A great, natural remedy for dry skin is Yogurt. Yogurt is an excellent skin hydrating agent and also helps get rid of germs that may cause skin dryness. Yogurt also tends to cool and soothe skin.
Petroleum Jelly or Vaseline
Apply petroleum jelly or Vaseline once a day to help cure dry skin. These products also help to lock in the moisture and prevent water loss from the skin.
Try a Face Mask
There are plenty of facemasks available in beauty stores for all types of skin. You can also make homemade masks whose recipes you can take off the Internet. Such masks are great for getting quick treatments to a specific problem. For e.g., an Avocado face mask is great for dry skin. Avocado pulp is rich in natural oils that moisturize your skin. It is also rich in vitamins A and E, antioxidants like vitamin C and carotenes, which help maintain healthy skin. These are some of the best tips for dry skin.
Here are also some general do’s and don’ts of having dry skin:
- Water depletes your skin of moisture especially if it’s already dry. Moisturize your skin immediately after a shower to help seal the much-needed moisture and also keep your skin feeling fresh.
- Drink a lot of water, even well water is said to do wonders for the skin! Have green tea and foods with high water content in them (no cola and canned juices!).
- Use lukewarm water to wash your face and body. Avoid very hot or cold water.
- Pat your skin dry with a towel after a bath. Don’t rub your towel harshly as it can cause rashes and soak up the moisture from your skin.
- Use products that suit your skin type. Even under dry skin, some may have extremely dry skin while some may have moderately dry skin. Both cases require different types of products. If you are confused, consult your dermatologist.
- Use products with high or low ph.
- Use water based products directly on the skin, use milk-based products instead.
- Consume excess salt with your food.
- Share face towels and napkins. Also, ensure that your towels and napkins are washed regularly.
- Keep itching your skin as it can get flaky, burn, and even bleed.
And there we have it; tips that will help you control your dry skin and prevent it in the future. Remember, that these are just a few suggestions and there are a lot more where these come from. That is why, it is important to keep in mind that these are not rules. These are some of the best tips for dry skin.
You can see what works for you and what does not. Our different skin types are also affected by factors such as the food we eat, the water we drink, the place and climate we live in, whether we travel, our hormones, etc.
Check out more of Shizuka’s Services!